Course Information Sheet - MS Word (Advanced)
Duration: 10 Weeks
Days: Monday 21/04/2013 to 09/07/2013
Time: 1:00 to 3:00
Venue: Watford Women's Centre Plus, Market Street
What is the course about?
At the end of this course you will have a complete understanding of the higher functions of Word. You will be able to perform the most advanced functions, including merging your documents with databases for mail-shots and producing well-defined documents. You will learn how to work with extremely large documents and how to use macros to speed through any repetitive functions, create table of content, track changes in a document.
Are there specific requirements for joining?
This course is suitable for learners who have some prior knowledge of MS Office software.
How will I learn?
You will be in a group of a maximum 10 learners and you will be guided through your course by one of our tutors. You will be given handouts to help you remember and you will be given lots of time to practice what you are learning. You will learn as an individual but also as a part of the group.
What topics will we cover and what you are able to do:
- Create Merged letters and labels sort and filter records, importing data
- Customise MS Word 2007 to suit own needs
- Creating Building Blocks
- Working with Excel data in Word
- Performing calculations in tables
- Drop cap lines
- Format using (subscript and superscript)
- Select text in different ways
- Using Styles to create outlines
- Understand difference between Indentation & Tabulation
- Use and understand AutoCorrect option
- Create Table of Content
- Change paragraph spacing
- Divide documents in to columns
- Create and apply styles
- Insert objects and change text wrapping
- Set up a page for printing
- Create various tables
- Use the IntelliMouse Device
- Create uniform Running Headers
- Create variable Running Heads
- Create Alternating Running Heads
- Create Macro (keyboard shortcuts, assign ribbon button to the Macro)
- Work with multiple documents
- Track changes in documents (Accept and Reject changes made to a document)
- Insert Comments
- Password protect documents
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each student has their own computer. Presentations will be made using computers, whiteboard, overhead screen and printed notes. Step by step instruction, with demonstrations where appropriate, will help you grasp the concepts.
What feedback will I get?
You will receive regular feedback from your tutor throughout the course, as and when appropriate. At the end of the course you and your tutor are asked to assess the progress you have made.
How will I be able to give my views on the course?
Please complete the evaluation form at the end of your course. These are monitored and help us to continually improve our courses.
How do I find out if I can get some support for my learning?
Watford Women's Centre Plus offers support sessions: Computer Club & Guided Learning during the week, where you get 1-2-1 support from experienced volunteers. These sessions will need to be pre booked with reception
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Information Advice and Guidance will be given by a qualified tutor or staff member at the end of the course; to give you more information about other learning opportunities and activities available at the centre or at other local providers.