Course Information Sheet - MS Excel (Advanced)
Duration: 10 Week
What is the course about?
Familiarise with advanced features of MS Excel 2007 through simple, step-by-step instructions, this course allows you to be more productive at work and at home.
Are there specific requirements for joining?
This course is suitable for learners who have some prior knowledge of MS Office software.
How will I learn?
You will be in a group of a maximum 10 learners and you will be guided through your course by one of our tutors. You will be given handouts to help you remember and you will be given lots of time to practice what you are learning. You will learn as an individual but also as a part of the group.
What topics will we cover and what you are able to do:
- Customise MS Excel 2007 screen layout
- Understand different sheets, rename, delete, add extra sheets, Move, copy and apply colour to the sheets
- Work with rows and columns
- Use different methods to format using Format/Cells
- Clear Formatting
- Format data by using Format/Cells
- Protect a worksheet
- Fill cells with data using the Auto Fill
- Understand and apply conditional formatting
- Introduce formulas and functions such as AVE, MAX, MIN, COUNT
- Use 3-D reference in formulas
- Understand and use V lookup function (using daily examples to explain)
- Lists (sort, filter for information)
- Create custom header and footer
- Set up a page for printing
- Use and understand Conditional Statements
- Use Paste Special to consolidate worksheets
- Use the Insert/Clipart to add images
- Understand Freeze panes and purpose of using this function
- Recognise type of Charts and the suitability for its purpose
- Distinguish between titles, axes titles, legends, labels and understand how to set and amend them
- Create variety of pie charts, line graphs and bar/column charts and comparative graphs; and understand difference between them
- Formatting Chart Display data labels, Use a Legend, Enter Title, Enter X and Y Axis
- Ensure comparative data is distinctive
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each student has their own computer. Presentations will be made using computers, whiteboard, overhead screen and printed notes. Step by step instruction, with demonstrations where appropriate, will help you grasp the concepts.
What feedback will I get?
You will receive regular feedback from your tutor throughout the course, as and when appropriate. At the end of the course you and your tutor are asked to assess the progress you have made.
How will I be able to give my views on the course?
Please complete the evaluation form at the end of your course. These are monitored and help us to continually improve our courses.
How do I find out if I can get some support for my learning?
The Centre offers support sessions: Computer Club & Guided Learning during the week, where you get 1-2-1 support from experienced volunteers. These sessions will need to be pre booked with reception.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Information Advice and Guidance will be given by a qualified tutor or staff member at the end of the course; to give you more information about other learning opportunities and activities available at the centre or at other local providers.